Package writing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67223] Package writing
  • From: "marek" <MarekBr at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 01:07:15 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello All
I have the following problem. I used Template.nb to create a package.
During the whole process I had some problems trying to get it to work
although the same commands in a different (fresh/new notebook) produced
desired results. Right now the sutuation is as follows. I can use my
poackage if I load it into any notebook but it does not work in the
original notebook I used to write it. I have that notebook and the
associated m file in /home/marek/Mathematica/Packages. Here are first 4
command I execute in the original notebook
1. SetDirectory["/home/marek/Mathematica/Packages"]
This sets my working directory to the directory in which my package is
located.
2. AppendTo[$Path, "/home/marek/Mathematica/Packages"];
Here I append this very same directory to my search path so that I can
load that package in the same notebook for testing purposes.
3. Needs["DataAnalysis`"]
This line loads that package. When I execute that line I get no
complaints form Mathematica that it cannot open something or anything
like that
After those there is a bunch of cells with the implementation of my
ppackage all of which are set to be an Initialization cells.
After them I have few cells which are using functions from my package
but they do not work. The symbols/functions defined in that package
seems to be recognized because Ctrl=k combination does the
autocomplition but nothing happens when I execute a cell with a funcion
defined in my package.
On the other hand I can copy my package to
/home/marek/.Mathematica/AutoLoad directory (and I do it changing the
name of that m file) and it works fine from there after I open new
notebook and load it with Needs["DD`"] (I chnaged the name of that file
to DD.m)
In a fresh notebook I can execute that AppendTo command from above and
then load my package from the original development directory (it has
different name there so I know that it is that version which is being
loaded not the one from /home/marek/.Mathematica/AutoLoad) and it will
work fine.
So why I cannot use my package from the original notebook I wrote it
in?
Any suggestiones greatly appreciated
Marek