Re: Why does Reduce work this way ...?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67255] Re: [mg67225] Why does Reduce work this way ...?
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 06:29:27 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I found Inequality in some output a while ago. I emailed tech support
and Tom Zeller pointed me to the following explanation in section
A.2.7 of the Mathematica Book:

Relational Operators:
Relational operators can be mixed. An expression like a > b >= c is
converted to Inequality[a, Greater, b, GreaterEqual, c], which
effectively evaluates as (a > b) && (b >= c). (The reason for the
intermediate Inequality form is that it prevents objects from being
evaluated twice when input like a > b >= c is processed.)

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/