RE: 3D plots

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67340] RE: [mg67218] 3D plots
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 05:13:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jose,

I made a plot using my DrawGraphics package. I had to use several of the
commands to trim the surfaces to the domain on which they are defined.

I am attaching a .gif image of one view of the two surfaces. I am also
attaching the notebook I used to make the plot. (These are omitted from the
MathGroup response. Anyone interested can contact me.) If you don't have
DrawGraphics you won't be able to make the plots but you can see some of the
other steps. (The notebook uses the style sheet from my web site, but you
can let it go to the Default style.)

Basically what I did was first pad the data to fit the entire rectangle. I
did this by making the values constant outside the triangular region taking
the closest values in the y direction. I then interpolated a fit to the
upper and lower data points. I then used a feature of DrawGraphics where I
create a grid of rectangular polygons and then trimmed them to fit the
triangular region. Then I used another feature that will raise the grid to a
3D surface. I did this for each of the two surfaces. That gives one surface
above the other. You could rotate it with SpinShow to get a better view of
it.

Because there are two surfaces involved and because they are only defined
over a restricted domain, I think it would be difficult to make a plot that
clearly showed the two surfaces with regular Mathematica.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: qfwfq [mailto:qfwfq_0 at yahoo.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hi David,

Thank you for your response.

Zmax is always  greater than zmin. x_coord is always greater than
y_coord.
Next, I send you a piece of the list.

Thanks

Jose