Re: Re: Package writing

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67356] Re: [mg67332] Re: Package writing
  • From: Bruce Miller <brucem at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 00:01:36 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 05:13:36AM -0400, albert wrote:
> Hi Marek,
> > However if I open Mathematica and have fresh, clean blanck notebook in
> > front of me non of the functiones from my package (a copy of which is
> > in .Mathematica/AutoLoad directory) is recognized (The autocomplition
> > does not work). It only works after executing Needs[] commands. Is
> > there something wrong with my Mathematica? I am using version 5.1 on
> > Gentoo Linux box.
>
> I just tried it and atuoloading obviously only works if you have a full
> directory-structure for a package in Autoload, just a packagefile will not
> be loaded. Whether that is the desired behaviour I don't know but there is
> nothing to worry about your installation I guess...

About Autoload directories:  A file named init.m in an Autoload
directory will be loaded when the kernel launches.  Application
packages and groups of Standard AddOn packages have a subdirectory
named Kernel which contains an init.m file which loads the package
files.  One can edit or create an init.m file in an Autoload
directory to load packages.

The Getting Started booklet, Appendix 1, describes this.  If you
don't have the paper version handy, see
http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/GettingStarted/System-SpecificInformation/FileLayout.html,
near the end.  The Mathematica Book, Appendix A.8.2, near the end,
has additional information, too,
http://documents.wolfram.com/mathematica/book/section-A.8.2.

Bruce Miller
Technical Support