RE: Problems editing a mathematica package, please help.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67413] RE: [mg67390] Problems editing a mathematica package, please help.
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 06:21:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi Terry,

> I'm trying to edit a mathematica package (.m file). The way
> I'm trying to do this is by converting it to a notebook
> expression then displaying it in a form I can read and edit.
> If I display in standard form or traditional, I don't get the
> form that I need since all symbols (like arrows...) are in
> word expressions and the file is full of
> "\[IndentingNewLine]". The only way to get to the form that I
> want is to convert to output form, but this deletes all the
> comments in the package and it doesn't look like I can edit
> it that way. Am I doing this wrong?

Possibly ....

Do you have the notebook from which the package was generated?  If so,
you're probably better of editing the package from this notebook, then
regenerating the package (taking care to check that appropriate cells are
marked as initialisation).

If you don't have the original notebook, then I'd recommend using a stock
standard text editor.  Notepad will do, but there are better tools for the
job (eg Scintilla at http://www.scintilla.org or EMACS or Crisp).

Regards,

Dave.