RE: Scale ContourPlot axes

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg67416] RE: [mg67393] Scale ContourPlot axes
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 06:22:03 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Nick,

It is not completely clear to me what you want and as usual you could obtain
a better answer if you gave an actual example.

Needs["Graphics`Graphics`"]

Here is a function...

f[x_, y_] := x*y^2 - x^3/y

and a regular contour plot.

ContourPlot[f[x, y], {x, 1, 10}, {y, 1, 10}];

The following is the same function plotted on a log scale.

ContourPlot[f[10^logx, 10^logy], {logx, 0, 1}, {logy, 0, 1},
   FrameTicks -> {LogScale, LogScale, None, None}];

If you change the scale, you have to change the plot. Is that what you
wanted?

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: Nick [mailto:nick.dale.burns at gmail.com]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Hi there,

I have a ContourPlot with axes of parameters "a" and "b" and contours
of a function "f". Obviously the parameters, "a" and "b" are varied
within defined boundary conditions to calculate "f".

My question: Is it possible to convert the axes to a log scale (within
ConoutPlot) while maintaining the normal values of these parameters,
ie. scale the linear axes to a log scale without converting to log
units?

I haven't been able to find a way of acheiving this and would really
appreciate any ideas out there.

Nick