Help: running external program on Mac OS X

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64764] Help: running external program on Mac OS X
  • From: "Kezhao Zhang" <kezhao.zhang at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 06:48:14 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I want to run an external program from a Mathematica notebook on Mac OS
X. The external program is located under /usr/local/software/bin. I
added the directory "/usr/local/software/bin" to the $PATH in
/etc/profile (I'm running bash). In a terminal window, the command
"env" shows that the directory "/usr/local/software/bin" is in the
$PATH. However, in the Mathematica notebook, the command
"Import["!env", "Lines"]" shows that the "/usr/local/software/bin" is
not in the $PATH. As a result, the external program does not run from
the notebook.

Is there anyway to make the new $PATH visible to Mathematica?

Thanks for your help.

Kezhao