Re: Extract values and multilpicities from list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg64854] Re: [mg64849] Extract values and multilpicities from list
  • From: gardyloo <gardyloo at mail.wsu.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 05:00:50 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I assume that the algorithms would vary in timings both because of the
list length, and because of the multiplicities. If I produce a list of
only zeros, or just ones and twos, the algorithms may be much faster in
those cases than with, for example, a list of length 1000, containing
1000 different machine-precision reals.
   Despite the difficulty of quantifying "shortest", here's a possibility:

With[{elems = lstIn // Union}, Transpose[{elems, Count[lstIn, #] & /@ elems}]]

           Cheers!

                 C.O.