Re: Laplace Transform

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65188] Re: Laplace Transform
  • From: Marlies.Goorden at physics.unige.ch
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:13:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Thank your for the replies. Generating conditions indeed helps.
What I still don't understand is the following. I can generate
conditions in three ways which I think are equivalent:

LaplaceTransform[Sin[a t], t, s, GenerateConditions ->
True,
  Assumptions -> NotElement[a, Reals]]
LaplaceTransform[Sin[a t], t, s, GenerateConditions ->
True,
  Assumptions -> Element[a, Complexes]]
LaplaceTransform[Sin[a*t], t, s, GenerateConditions -> True,
  Assumptions -> Im[a] > 0]

The second one doesn't work (this was what I was doing before
already). Can anyone tell me what the difference is? And why do
I have to generate these conditions, shouldn't mathematica
anyway assume that a is complex? Or should I always put in these
assumtpiosn when I do a laplace transform.

Thank you for your help, Marlies