Re: Different font behavior between kernel and front-end

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65185] Re: Different font behavior between kernel and front-end
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 00:13:29 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

the kernel *need* the FrontEnd to render the Mathematica fonts,
because the font metric (i.e. the width of the glyphs) is only
known by the FrontEnd -- the Kernel never read the metric files
and don't know the size of the glyphs and can't place the glyphs
without the FrontEnd.
You must launch the FrontEnd form the kernel like webMathematica
does.

Regards
  Jens

<kalymereau at yahoo.fr> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:dvbikn$i61$1 at smc.vnet.net...
| Hi Group
|
| I have the following problem, with a plot that
contains greek letters
| in labels.
|
| If I use the front-end interface, everything is
OK and I can export the
| plot to PNG or EPS, the latter files show the
correct greek letters.

| If I use the same code in a .m package and I run
the kernel
| command-line, then both PNG and EPS files do not
understand greek