Re: Exporting plots with the kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65344] Re: Exporting plots with the kernel
  • From: albert <awnl at arcor.de>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 06:56:19 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

> This is really a strange behavior ! Even with Postscript it doesn't
> work. For example
> Display["plot.eps",myPlot,"EPS"] produces an error if there is no
> X-server (the same with Export). I can use Display["plot.eps",myPlot]
> to produce a file that seems to be in Mathematica specific Postscript
> language, but then this file cannot be read with standard Postscript
> viewers. Is there a way to translate this file to a more standard
> format ?

there are some external programs that handle these things and I remember
that it is possible to call them without even using mathematica and I
remember to have been successfully generating plots without a FrontEnd,
unfortunatly  that was years ago but can't remember any details. Look for
psrender within the installation-directory of mathematica
($InstallationDirectory/SystemFiles/Graphics/Binaries/Linux/psrender). You
might want to search for psrender in the archives of this newsgroup, I'm
quite sure you will find some tips on how to use it. There is also a
manpage for psrender in:
$InstallationDirectory/SystemFiles/SystemDocumentation/Unix, maybe that
will get you started...

> I know that I can produce the numerical data with the kernel, and then
> read it and plot it with the FrontEnd. But I am talking about the
> result of quite long calculations, and I would like to check the output
> quickly with a plot without having to launch the FrontEnd. Also I am
> often out of office, and I have to run batch  jobs on my office
> machines: in such a situation I want the plots without being obliged to
> have access to a local Mathematica FrontEnd.
>
> Thanks for any suggestion that would help me to bypass this severe
> limitation of the kernel.

If you can't achieve what you need with the above, you could try to run a
virtual X-Server on the office machines (Xvnc or xvfb). This might sound
more complicated than it actually is, provided one of them is installed on
the server already (most linux distros have at least Xvnc today, I think).
Look into the documentation for webmathematica
(http://documents.wolfram.com/webmathematica/v2/index_2_4.html) for details
on how to set this up.

hth,

albert