Re: First Order Logic

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg65384] Re: First Order Logic
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 06:34:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 3/28/06 at 4:05 AM, clintonleforte at charter.net (clinton lefort)
wrote:

>I have just downloaded a Mathematica Package named otter.m having
>to do with First Order Logic, designed by a Professor of Philosophy
>at Stanford. I am very interested in this aspect of Mathematica,
>its logic rules and Mathematical Logic.

>I am a little embarrased  of my lack of knowledge of Mathematica.
>For this reason I do not want to approach the group as a whole,
>yet.

>My question:

>I have placed otter.m in this path:     SH (my HD)
>/applications/Library/Mathematica/Autoload/

This directory is intended for packages you want to automatically load when you start a session. In general, this isn't were you want to put packages you want to evaluate or use occasionally. I suggest putting the package in the directory returned by evaluating $UserBaseDirectory.

>Would there be a better way to upload .nb into my system?

There is a significant difference between .nb files and .m files. In general, you will want to open .nb using the File->Open menu item in the front end. But you will want to load .m files using Get or Needs.

>How should I upload notebooks and then access them in Mathematica. In
>my present sitatuation it would seem to be

><<`otter.m

This is close to correct syntax. What you want would be

<<otter`

rather than what you wrote. An equivalent would be

Get["otter`"]

alternatively,

Needs["otter`"]

>Solution:

>I placed otter.m in the autoloads directory then called it in
>notebook BeginPackage[`otter.m]

>Fine.

No, not fine. BeginPackage is not used to load a package. Instead it is used to set up a context where you can create a package. This is definitely not what you want to do when evaluating a package.