Re: Defining N for a new entity

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66775] Re: Defining N for a new entity
  • From: Giuseppe Bilotta <bilotta78 at hotpop.com>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 05:48:11 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Mon, 29 May 2006 10:10:52 +0000 (UTC), Scout wrote:

> "Giuseppe Bilotta" <bilotta78 at hotpop.com>
> news:e5aucq$nn4$1 at smc.vnet.net...
>> So I was looking for a way to tell Mathematica that applying N to an
>> AffineExpression should only actually apply it to c and xi, something
>> like
>>
>> N[AffineExpression[c_, dev_]] :=
>>  AffineExpression[N[c], MapAt[N,#,{2}]&/@ dev]
>>
>> but if I actually do this and then call
>>
>> AffineExpression[1, {{1, 1}}]
>> N[%]
>>
>> the Mathematica kernel (5.2.0.0) dies without any message.
>>
>> Does anybody have an idea of what could the reason be? And what could
>> I do as a workaround?
>
> Hi Giuseppe,
> have you already tried to define an upvalue for AffineExpression[] ?
> Something like
>     N[AffineExpression[c_, dev_]] ^:= AffineExpression[....]
>
> For the other questions I don't know what's happening.
> HTH,
>     ~Scout~

Sadly, the kernel dies regardless of whether I define it as an upvalue
or not. The strange thing is that this is something related to the
internals of N:

MyN[AffineExpression[c_, dev_?MatrixQ]] ^:=
  AffineExpression[N[c], MapAt[N,#, 2] & /@ dev];
N[AffineExpression[c_, dev_?MatrixQ]] ^:=
  AffineExpression[N[c], MapAt[N, #, 2] & /@ dev];
AffineExpression[1/6, {{2, 1/3}}]
MyN[%]
N[%%]

The strange thing is that the kernel dies without a message or
anything.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"I'm never quite so stupid
 as when I'm being smart" --Linus van Pelt