Re: Mathematica / MacOSX / XDarwin fonts problem

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70984] Re: Mathematica / MacOSX / XDarwin fonts problem
  • From: "ragfield" <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 01:39:39 -0500 (EST)

guy.verhofstadt at gmail.com wrote:
> I am running MacOSX on my MacBook, and would like to run remotely
> Mathematica 5.2. I can launch it to my XDarwin server running locally,
> but there are fonts issues.
>
> I do not have much access to the machine running Mathematica, the only
> things I can change are the options I run Mathematica with on the
> command line. On the other hand, I know that the fonts are installed on
> the machine running Mathematica, since I can use it properly when I am
> at the console (ie when not run remotely). I have full access on the
> client side.
>
> I hear there are a few methods to solve this (use the fonts on the
> machine running mathematica, or install the fonts on my client
> computer)

I assume from your question that the remote machine is running some
sort of Unix platform and it has the X11 version of Mathematica
installed, is this correct?  If so, the problem is fairly
straightforward to fix.  Copy the BDF fonts from the remote machine at
$InstallationDirectory/FrontEnd/SystemFiles/Fonts/X/BDF to somewhere on
your local machine.  Launch the X11 server on your MacBook if you
haven't already done so.  Execute the following commands on your
MacBook in the Terminal:

xset fp+ /path/to/fonts/BDF
xset fp rehash

Then launch Mathematica on the remote Unix machine.  I use this setup
on my Mac without problems.  You will need to rerun the 'xset' commands
each time you restart the X11 server on your MacBook, so it may be
useful to keep this in some sort of script or resource file.

-Rob