Mathematica 5.2 redraw errors with X and nvidia graphics card

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70999] Mathematica 5.2 redraw errors with X and nvidia graphics card
  • From: "chris_s" <ouzel.chris at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 04:08:10 -0500 (EST)

I've recently moved from Fedore Core 4 to Ubuntu linux, in the process
moving from Xorg 7.1.1 from Xorg 6.9 (ish).  In this new setup, I'm now
having severe problems with redraw errors with Mathematica 5.2.0.  I'm unable
to scrollback in the notebook windows (by dragging the window sidebar
up) when using the hardware acclerated nvidia driver - doing so
seems to cause a window redraw error.  Scrolling down is fine.
Triggering a redraw by hiding/exposing the window or by switching
workspaces corrects the graphics state.  I'm using nvidia-glx 8774,
BTW.  This problem does not occur with the unaccelerated nv driver or
using Xnest, and was not seen on the Fedora Xorg 6.X setup on the same
machine.

Needless to say, this is intensely annoying !  Has anyone else had
similar problems, and any ideas on a fix ?

Many thanks.