Re: RE: Context

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71000] Re: [mg70985] RE: [mg70956] Context
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at jeol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 04:08:12 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 3, 2006, at 1:39 AM, Virgilio, Vincent - SSD wrote:

> Below, a CompoundExpression[] contains a Begin[].  I think the Begin[]
> will not affect anything in that CompoundExpression[]. So Mathematica
> creates t in Global` rather than x`, which you see.

The answer is to consider $ContextPath.

To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
> Subject: [mg71000] [mg70985] [mg70956] Context
>

> Hello,
>
> consider:
>
> fun[x_]:=( Begin[x];
>
>        Print[t];
>
>        End[];
>
>        );
>
> according to the manual one would think that the variable t in
> context x

No it will search for t in contexts specified in the context path, if
there's a DownValue for t specified in a context on the context path
and none in the current context, then the value in the other context
will be used.  If you think about this for a second this behavior is
necessary because most of the built in functions are defined in the
System` context and if Begin overwrote the context path you'd lose
all the built in definition when you started a new context.

This explanation is in the further explanation section of the help on
Begin, specifically:

> A symbol whose context name is not specified is looked up first in
> the current context, then in the contexts in $ContextPath.

and

> This command changes the current context, but not the context path.
> In[3]:=
> Begin["Temporary`"];
> {$Context,$ContextPath}
>
> Out[3]=