Re: Insertion into sorted list

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71078] Re: [mg71027] Insertion into sorted list
  • From: János <janos.lobb at yale.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 06:04:24 -0500 (EST)

On Nov 6, 2006, at 2:52 AM, Andrew Moylan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a sorted List. I need to occasionally insert new elements,
> while
> always keeping the list sorted. Is there a more efficient way to do
> this than the most obvious way (calling Append then calling Sort)?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Andrew

With MemberQ you can check if the value is already there or not.
If it is there, then you find the first such value with Position and
use Insert to insert the vale.

If it is not there then you can "walk" in the list - binary walking
is fast - to find the values that are "surround" your vale and use
Insert again.

János