Possible bug concerning a limit computation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71107] Possible bug concerning a limit computation
  • From: "geo_topos" <geo_topos at yahoo.co.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 06:16:01 -0500 (EST)

Hello everyone,
I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but here it goes.
I am a high-school math teacher from greece. I was working with my
students on the limit:

Limit[ (Sqrt[7x^4+6x+5] - Sqrt[7x^4+3x+3]) * Sqrt[63x^2-5x+20, x->
Infinity]

The result we got for that is 9/2. Mathematica 4.0 will produce the
opposite result: -9/2.
If anyone is interested on the way we calculated this limit, please
e-mail me and I will be more than happy to send you a copy of our
computation, since it would take me ages to type this in ASCII and
furthermore it would be, at least, annoying to the viewer.

Excuse my rusty english, best regards
Kostas Raptis