Re: xvnc Mathematica menu fonts

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71080] Re: [mg70097] [mg69532] xvnc Mathematica menu fonts
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 06:04:41 -0500 (EST)

The
"Couldn't start Xvnc; trying default font path.
Please set correct fontPath in the vncserver script."

was caused by the inclusion of /usr/share/fonts/corefonts/ in my font path.

It appears the $fontPath variable can take comma or colon separated lists.

The following command in the vncserver script is good enough to get
rid of the above mentioned error, as well as the error with dialog box
mentioned in my quoted email below.

$fontPath = "/usr/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/freefont/";

Also, I am able to see that Mathematica is adding

"/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.2/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1/,/usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/5.2/SystemFiles/Fonts/BDF/"

to the font path via xset -display :1 -q (before and after running Mathematica).

Unfortunately, the $fontpath above does not make Mathematica's menu
fonts render correctly. I am guessing that when Mathematica can't find the
Times font, it changes its menu font to some sort of fallback.

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/