Re: Re: (Mathematica wish list)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71406] Re: [mg71365] Re: (Mathematica wish list)
  • From: Daniel Lichtblau <danl at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 04:30:28 -0500 (EST)

Vince Virgilio wrote:
> On Nov 15, 7:00 am, Daniel Lichtblau <d... at wolfram.com> wrote:
>
>>[elided]
>>
>>getAllVariables[f_?NumericQ] := Sequence[]
>>getAllVariables[{}] := Sequence[]
>>
>>getAllVariables[ll_List] :=
>>   Flatten[Union[Map[getAllVariables[#]&, ll]]]
>

> Daniel,
>
> I have a question about the style of this code. Why create a pure
> function from getAllVariables, especially since it already has single
> arity? Does it matter?
>

>>[elided]
>>

>>Daniel Lichtblau
>>Wolfram Research
>

> Thanks,
>
> Vince Virgilio

I had to scratch my head over that (or maybe it was lice).

The original code, that I altered for posting, comes from symbolic
integration. There we look for all variables not the same as the
integration variable. Hence it was originally of the form

getAllVariables[f_?NumericQ, x_] :=...
etc.

I simply did not catch the fact that the version I had altered could
then be further simplified. So to answer your question, the pure
function above is in fact superfluous.

Daniel Lichtblau
Wolfram Research