Method option to Solve

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71519] Method option to Solve
  • From: "Andrew Moylan" <andrew.j.moylan at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 07:05:16 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

The usage string for the option name Method says "Method is an option
to Solve, related functions, and various numerical functions, which
specifies what algorithm to use in evaluating the result.". The list of
options for Solve does indeed include Method, with a default value of
3:

In[11]:=
Options[Solve]

Out[11]=
{InverseFunctions -> Automatic, MakeRules -> False,
  Method -> 3, Mode -> Generic, Sort -> True,
  VerifySolutions -> Automatic, WorkingPrecision -> Infinity}

However, I have been unable to find any other reference to the Method
option to Solve in the documentation. Can anyone explain what this
option does, and/or refer me to a part of the documentation that
explains it?

Cheers,
Andrew