dynamic Blocking and thread safeness (in general)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71592] dynamic Blocking and thread safeness (in general)
  • From: "Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 01:17:12 -0500 (EST)

Some internal routines (for Export) use Block to pass "data" between
functions - actually, I have witnessed the blocking of functions so
that they are taken over by data-appropriate routines.

In general it seems that any code that dynamically blocks a variable
(or function) would be unsafe to run in parallel with other code that
uses the same variable (or function).

As we move forward with multi-core CPUs becoming the norm, does WRI
have a plan for tapping into the multi-threaded power of the new x86
chips from Intel and AMD?

Is the technology in your grid computing software able to help here?

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/