Mathematica "Interpolation" function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71630] Mathematica "Interpolation" function
  • From: Lorents <lorenzo at amp.fi>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 05:37:11 -0500 (EST)

Hello,
I'm trying to understand how mathematica produces interpolations in 1D
with the "Interpolation" command. I understood it uses piecewise
polynomial of the degree specified by InterpolationOrder.
As far as I understand this method never produces truly smooth functions
as nothing is done to elimitate the jump discontinuities in the
derivatives of the joined polynomials.
Iimagine that these discontinuities may be small, but they are
nontheless there.
Could anybody confirm this? Am I correct?

Lorenzo