RE: Nonlinear Regression

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71677] RE: [mg71641] Nonlinear Regression
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at aapt.net.au>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 03:49:06 -0500 (EST)

Hi Amin,

> I'm a physics student.I have done an experiment .I want to
> use Mathematica , I found a problem in using it :
> for example I have data ={ {0,0},{1,2},{3,6}}  and I want to
> fit them for a equation such as " y=Log[Cosh[a*x]] "
> so I want the value of parametre"a" and also its error(i.e.
> a=0.045+- 0.05 then error is 0.05 )  and also the regression
> (i.e. R=0.995  ) please ,please , tell me how I can do it ? I
> have seen the help browser but i did'nt understand.
> could you please possibly try it and send me the programme.
> also could you tell me what "Asymptotic SE " and "CI" mean?

The documentation (for Nonlinear Regress) says that CI is confidence
interval.  SE is standard error, but you'll need to go to documentation for
LinearRegress to see this (or else guess it).  Alternatively, chase the
(three provided) references down until you find definitions.  If that
dosen't work, try Google.

As to not understanding the documentation ....  I've found it useful to work
through the examples in detail.  Type & evaluate each command in the example
in sequence, rather than copy & paste.  After you've done this, repeat the
process with your own data.

Regards,

Dave.