RE: Using subscripts in function-parameter names

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg71705] RE: [mg71653] Using subscripts in function-parameter names
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 04:04:16 -0500 (EST)

Erik,

You might look on MathSource at the WRI site for the SubscriptSymbols
package by Ted Ersek. It makes it quite convenient to use subscripts in
expressions. It loads the Notation package and handles all the symbolization
for you. However, quite often you do not have to symbolize the subscript
expressions and just loading the package, which institutes some extra
definitions for Subscript, will be enough to solve your problem.

The package comes with a notebook showing how to do a number of common
things with subscript expressions.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: eriwik at student.chalmers.se [mailto:eriwik at student.chalmers.se]

I'm quite new to using Mathematica and I'll probably not use it much in
the future either, but right now I need to use it to calculate some
values for comparison. My problem is that I can't get seem to get a
function to work if the parameters have a subscript in the name. The
following demonstrates the problem (copied from the notebook-file):

(F[\(x\_1\) _, \(x\_2) _] := \[Sum]\+\(i  = 1\)\%2 x\_i;\)

Or put another way, a function F that takes two arguments
Subscript[x,1] and Subscript[x,2] and runs a summation over
Subscript[x,i] from i = 1 to 2.

Now, this is quite a contrived example and could easily be expanded by
hand, but what I need it for is much harder, with 8 parameters and
nested summations. As I understand perhaps Utilities`Notation` could be
used, but I don't understand how to use it. Could someone give a short
demonstration (if that is the solution), perhaps on the above example?

--
Erik Wikström