Performance--Dual Core

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70089] Performance--Dual Core
  • From: oparadis at princeton.edu
  • Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 06:16:29 -0400 (EDT)

I have just bought a new system (AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+) thinking it would improve computations with mathematica 5.2. I am mainly running symbolic computation problems (Solve,Reduce,FullSimplify stuff) involving a system of nonlinear equations with domain restrictions over parameters...

I am puzzled by the fact mathematica seems to be using the CPU resources from a single core at the time even though the problem it tries to solve is very complicated (takes 1 day approx.). While computing, windows' task manager shows "MathKernel" using 50% of CPU and "System Idle Process" using the remaining 50%.

I have 2 questions. First, what's going on ? Is Mathematica really unable to use both cores at the same time ? Second, how can one deal with this ? Is there a way to force mathematica to somehow split the task between both cores ?

I know some of the previous posts have dealt with similar issues but they don't quite seem to answer my specific problem.

Link to the forum page for this post:
http://www.mathematica-users.org/webMathematica/wiki/wiki.jsp?pageName=Special:Forum_ViewTopic&pid=14120#p14120
Posted through http://www.mathematica-users.org [[postId=14120]]