Re: Automate datafitting to a series of parameterized function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70297] Re: [mg70277] Automate datafitting to a series of parameterized function
  • From: Darren Glosemeyer <darreng at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 05:37:05 -0400 (EDT)

The model is a linear model in the basis functions 1, x, x^2,..., so you
can use Regress to easily get this information.

This will give the fitted function and residuals for the model with n terms.

<< Statistics`LinearRegression`

fittedAndResiduals[n_] := {BestFit, FitResiduals} /. Regress[data,
x^Range[0, n], x,
    RegressionReport -> {BestFit, FitResiduals} ];

The mentioned results for a constant model can then be computed directly
as follows, and for higher order models by choosing the appropriate
value of n.

res0 = fittedAndResiduals[0];
error0 = res0[[2]]^2;
avererror0 = Total[error0]/Length[data]
maxerror = Max[error0]

If there is a maximum power for the terms, say 5, that you wish to
allow, results for all those models could be obtained as follows.

Table[Block[{res = fittedAndResiduals[n], error},
      error = res[[2]]^2;
      {res[[1]], Total[error]/Length[data], Max[error]}], {n, 0, 5}]

Other diagnostics could also be obtained from Regress or computed from
results obtained from Regress if desired.

Darren Glosemeyer
Wolfram Research