General--Simple Permutations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70333] General--Simple Permutations
  • From: andrew.and.liz at gmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 01:30:36 -0400 (EDT)

I would like to write a function that can look at a long list of permutations (an output from other calculations) and list, in cycle form, only the permutations that consist of 2 cycles or 3 cycles and leave the rest of the places alone. I am analyzing a permutation puzzle and am looking for short sequences of moves that switch a few places and leave the rest of the pieces in place. Any help would be appreciated!

Link to the forum page for this post:
http://www.mathematica-users.org/webMathematica/wiki/wiki.jsp?pageName=Special:Forum_ViewTopic&pid=14360#p14360
Posted through http://www.mathematica-users.org [[postId=14360]]