Re: Formal operations with vectors and scalars

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70574] Re: Formal operations with vectors and scalars
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 05:21:37 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Wolfgang,
I am wondering why you define reflection by: nv.(av+rv) = 0. This is
certainly not more fundamental than: rv = av - 2 nv (av.nv). This comes
from specifying that the sign of the component normal to the surface: nv
(av.nv) is reversed. That is, the the change is -2 nv (av.nv), what is
clearly visible in the above formula.
Daniel