Re: Re: Programming style: postfix/prefix vs. functional

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70646] Re: [mg70633] Re: [mg70587] Programming style: postfix/prefix vs. functional
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 01:19:20 -0400 (EDT)
On 21 Oct 2006, at 18:14, Chris Chiasson wrote:

> One thing I have wondered is, what function corresponds to the short
> hand "@". I know @ appears in Operate. Also, the ? can sometimes tell
> what function an operator represents (try ?/@ ) , but ?@ only gives
> System`$ (the symbol $ in the context System).

That's because the symbol @ already has another meaning as a "wild
card":

@ , one or more characters excluding upperâ??case letters

(A more general wild card is, of course *). So ?@ returns all the
symbols defined in the  contexts  of the current session that do not
contain capital letters. Evaluate some symbols whose names contain
only small letter in Mathematica and try ?@ again to see this in action.

Andrzej Kozlowski