kernel error: invalid machine instruction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70753] kernel error: invalid machine instruction
  • From: earthnut at web.de
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 02:38:48 -0400 (EDT)

I have just installed the trial version of Mathematica 5.2 under Linux.
The front-end works very fine, but I am not able to start the kernel.
When I type 'math' on the console, I get the following message:

Mathematica 5.2 for Linux
Copyright 1988-2005 Wolfram Research, Inc.
Ungültiger Maschinenbefehl

Where 'Ungültiger Maschinenbefehl' means 'invalid machine
instruction'.

I am using an almost up to date Debian unstable on a 2.6.15 kernel with
glibc 2.12.3-2.

Has anyone an idea? Pleas help.

Thank you very much,
Bastian.