Re: options as a matter of course (any advice?)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69443] Re: options as a matter of course (any advice?)
  • From: "Jens-Peer Kuska" <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 04:00:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

no, Show[] take the options and add/replace this
options in the
options of it's first argument. Thats why Show[]
has no options
but Graphics3D[], Graphics[], ... have options.

Regards
  Jens

"Chris Chiasson" <chris at chiasson.name> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:ee3b7t$onv$1 at smc.vnet.net...
|I have begun to take notice of missing/undeclared
options. This
| results from the passing of options from a
function that doesn't use
| them or declare them to a function that does use
them.

| Let me give a short example:
|
| gr[1]=Graphics[{Red,Line[{{1,2},{9,4},{5,6}}]}]
|
| Show[gr[1],Axes->True]
|
| In[3]:=
| Options@Show
|
| Out[3]=
| {}
|
| Show takes and "uses" the Axes option, even
though it is not listed as
| an option for Show.
|
| This happens with other functions as well:
| StyleForm has no options but seems to accept
those of StyleBox
| Cell has many options but also accepts
Magnification, which is not on
| its list of options.
|
| This situation concerns me, because I am
starting to code things this
| way as well. I made a function that has an
option called Exports (note
| the s). The rhs of Exports is a list of option
lists. These options
| are passed to various functions, such as Export
(without the s). I
| need to add a useage message for Exports that
describes this and lists
| the various functions that see these options.
Otherwise, it will be
| hard for a user to know what will happen if she
or he changes, adds,
| or deletes an option from the nested list.
|
| I am curious as to what can be done to curtail
these situations,
| because they lead to obfuscation of what code
does.