Re: Convective diffusion equation in 2D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79765] Re: Convective diffusion equation in 2D
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 05:46:31 -0400 (EDT)

dantimatter wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to find a nice and neat way to numerically solve the
> convective diffusion equation
>
> da/dt = D (d^2/dx^2 + d^2/dy^2) a - v da/dx
>
> where a is the concentration of my solute, D is the diffusion
> constant, and v is the surrounding fluid velocity in the x direction.
> I thought that there was a small chance that maybe someone else here
> has attempted something similar.
> Is it even possible to solve this equation? As always, any suggestions
> would be much appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
> Dan

Oliver Rübenkönig's "Finite Elements for Convection-Diffusion equations"
might be worth reading:

http://www.imtek.uni-freiburg.de/simulation/mathematica/IMSweb/imsTOC/Application%20Examples/Finite%20Element%20Method/AnemometerAnalysisDocu.html

Also, you should have a look at the  _IMTEK Mathematica Supplement_ (IMS)

http://www.imtek.uni-freiburg.de/simulation/mathematica/IMSweb/

HTH,
Jean-Marc