Re: How to extract generated plot data (or mesh data) from a Graphics3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79909] Re: How to extract generated plot data (or mesh data) from a Graphics3D
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 04:58:19 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/7/07 at 1:24 AM, takshakh at yahoo.com (Ham Sha) wrote:

>I would be thankful if someone can help me on this problem: I am
>using Mathematica 6.0 and it introduces new graphical capabilities
>that is not compatible with ver. 5.2, I could extract generated mesh
>data from a Plot3D for further manipulation using for instance the
>following code:

>p=Plot3D[Sin[x] y, {x, 0, 4}, {y, 0, 4}]
>p // FullForm (* to see the structure of p *)
>p[[1, 1]] (* a list of mesh points in p *)

>now in ver. 6.0 I cannot exctract mesh data from a Graphics3D object
>especially when used with built in commands like Sphere[...] like
>this:

>g = Graphics3D[Sphere[{0, 0, 0}, 1]]
>g // InputForm (* !!! no useful output to extract mesh data !!!!*)

Your first example with Sin works fine in version 6.01. But I
would be surprised if you second example with Sphere ever worked.

In your first example, you used a function which Mathematica
must sample in order to construct the graphic. In the second
case, you've used a graphics primitive which Mathematica knows
how to construct without sampling. Consequently, there will be
no list of sampled points.