Setting plot options with RuleDelayed/Rule does not work

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80057] Setting plot options with RuleDelayed/Rule does not work
  • From: Markus Huber <mhla at gmx.at>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 02:17:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I discovered the following behavior of Mathematica which I do not
understand concerning options of plot commands:

I want to set the Background option for Plot to a color using
RuleDelayed (I want to use RuleDelayed because instead of Red I plan
on using a variable), e.g.

SetOptions[Plot, Background :> Red]

This does not work when using Plot:

Plot[x, {x, 0, 1}]

plots something but gives the error "The specified setting for
GraphicsBoxOptions, Background cannot be used".
Interestingly

Plot[x, {x, 0, 1},Background:>Red]

as well as (Rule instead of RuleDelayed)

SetOptions[Plot, Background -> Red]
Plot[x, {x, 0, 1}]

work. What confuses me also is the fact that for other Options this
proble does not occur, e.g. I tried it with PlotLabel. ListPlot also
shows this behavior (and I guess more plot functions).

Can anybody explain this behavior or it is a bug in M6?

Regards,
Markus Huber