Re: 64 bit Kernel does not run on iMac Intel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80046] Re: [mg80022] 64 bit Kernel does not run on iMac Intel
  • From: Brett Champion <brettc at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 02:11:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 10, 2007, at 5:45 AM , Bert Kachler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just obtained Mathematica 6.0.1 for MacOSX and
> tried it out. For reasons explained in the FAQ,
> the default kernel is a universal 32 bit binary,
> and this works fine. Also included is a 64 bit kernel
> for OSX/Intel, and it is also explained how to
> substitute it.
>
> However, it does not work, there seems to be
> a problem with the architecture (Mac OSX version 10.4.10).
> When running the MathKernel64 on the command line, it gives the
> following error:
>
> iMac.local:MacOS => MathKernel64
> tcsh: MathKernel64: Bad CPU type in executable.
>

> lipo tells me:
>
> iMac.local:MacOS => lipo -detailed_info MathKernel64
> input file MathKernel64 is not a fat file
> Non-fat file: MathKernel64 is architecture: x86_64
>
> while for the (universal) 32bit Kernel it says:
>
> iMac.local:MacOS => lipo -detailed_info MathKernel
> Fat header in: MathKernel
> fat_magic 0xcafebabe
> nfat_arch 2
> architecture ppc
>      cputype CPU_TYPE_POWERPC
>      cpusubtype CPU_SUBTYPE_POWERPC_ALL
>      offset 4096
>      size 21676740
>      align 2^12 (4096)
> architecture i386
>      cputype CPU_TYPE_I386
>      cpusubtype CPU_SUBTYPE_I386_ALL
>      offset 21684224
>      size 25235608
>      align 2^12 (4096)
>

> So there seems to be an error in the architecture specification.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!

If you have a Core Duo based iMac (the original Intel-based versions)
then you can only use the 32-bit kernel.

Core 2 Duo and the new Core 2 Extreme iMacs should be able to use the
64-bit kernel.

You can check your processor type by looking at "About this Mac"
under the Apple menu.

Brett Champion
Wolfram Research