Re: Re: Intensive numerical calculations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80230] Re: [mg80152] Re: Intensive numerical calculations
  • From: Gerry Flanagan <flanagan at materials-sciences.com>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 04:18:51 -0400 (EDT)

I've written a couple of my own, including a fairly intensive 3D FEM
solution that was part of an iterative loop. After we replaced some bits
of Fortran-like code with more natural Mathematica, the speed was
similar to a fully compiled code. Ultimately, you can't compete with a
large scale commercial FEM because of things like memory management, but
for special purpose analysis, by all means go for it.
Gerry F.