Re: Mathematica 6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80338] Re: [mg80311] Mathematica 6
  • From: Sseziwa Mukasa <mukasa at jeol.com>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 05:31:41 -0400 (EDT)

On Aug 17, 2007, at 1:50 AM, John wrote:

> Just installed Mathematica 6. It opens with a blank page called
> Untitled 1, but I can't get it to do anything.
>
> I typed in the following:
>
>  Mean{{1,2,3}], Variance[{1,2,3}]
>
> and a few other simple calculations, but nothing happens.

You probably should start with the tutorials included in the Help
system.  Under the Help menu choose Documentation Center.  Then
choose "First Five Minutes with Mathematica" on the resulting page.
Later on go through the tutorials linked off the overview section of
the same page.

As for your problems, your syntax is incorrect it's

Mean[{1,2,3}]
Variance[{1,2,3}]

no comma, and to get Mathematica to evaluate you have to use either
shift+return or the enter key (it's usually by the numeric keypad and
unlike most software Mathematica differentiates between it and the
return key).

Hope this helps get you started,

Ssezi