fit a BinomialDistribution to exptl data?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80415] fit a BinomialDistribution to exptl data?
  • From: Gordon Robertson <agrobertson at telus.net>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 04:38:01 -0400 (EDT)

Given a list of data values, or a list of x-y data points for
plotting the data as an empirical distribution function, how can I
fit a BinomialDistribution to the data? The help documentation for
FindFit shows examples in which the user indicates which function
should be fit (e.g. FindFit[data, a x Log[b + c x], {a, b, c}, x]),
and I've been unable to find an example in which a statistical
distribution is being fit to data. Mathematica complains when I try the
following with an xy list of data that specified an EDF: FindFit
[xyvals, CDF[BinomialDistribution[n, pp], k], {n, pp}, k].

Gordon Robertson
Canada's Michael Smith Genome Sciences Centre
Vancouver BC Canada