Re: From PaddedForm to numbers?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80505] Re: From PaddedForm to numbers?
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:26:15 -0400 (EDT)

Curtis Osterhoudt wrote:

>    Given a number in PaddedForm, how can I easily convert it to a number which
> can be worked with? This would be the analogue of ToExpression[
> some_string_representing_a_number ].

Assuming I have correctly guessed how you could possibly use
(incorrectly?) *PaddedForm*, you can use *First* to extract the original
number. (Use FullForm[y] to see the structure of y.) For instance,

In[1]:= y = PaddedForm[1.23456, {3, 4}]

Out[1]//PaddedForm= \!\(\*
TagBox[
InterpretationBox["\<\" 1.2300\"\>",