Contour plot legend

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80508] Contour plot legend
  • From: "jeremy rutman" <jeremy_spagnet at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:27:48 -0400 (EDT)

Is there no simple way to get a decent legend in a contour plot?
{simple+decent for me is : automatic colours and numbers that correspond to
the plot}

Once upon a time there was a LabelContour package by the venerable Tom
Wickham-Jones, which
made a decent contour plot legend without days of hassle.  This has been
successfully broken in version 6.01.

I tried both  ContourLabels -> Automatic   which puts labels in arbitrary
and often horrific places, and Legend from the plotlegend package which
seems to require that I specify the colors and values by hand which would
probably waste me several days of work figuring out how to do it.
I would use ContourLabels -> Automatic  if I could make the labels' colour
automatically have maximum contrast with the background colour (e.g.
opposite colour on colour wheel; in the help example i only saw a fixed and
repugnant white bkcgnd) but again this seems like it would take quite some
time futzing around.

An interesting post from the archive: