BarChart inside a Frame. How to remove Labels from the top of the frame? How to put x-axis label below and not on the side?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80589] BarChart inside a Frame. How to remove Labels from the top of the frame? How to put x-axis label below and not on the side?
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 04:30:24 -0400 (EDT)

Mathematica 6.0.1

This is really annoying. I wanted a BarChart inside a frame. All works ok,
except it insists on putting the bar labels on top of the frame as well as
on the bottom of the frame, like this:

BarChart[{1, 2, 3}, Frame -> True]

I can remove the labels altogether, and use FrameTicks, but it still does it
again !

BarChart[{1, 2, 3}, Frame ->
True,BarLabels->None,FrameTicks->{{1,2,3},{0,1}}]

I think BarChart conflict with Frame somehow.

The only reason I wanted to put the BarChart inside a frame, is that with a
frame, when I put the x-label, it will go below and not on the side.

I wanted to write a large x-label, and just using BarChart, the x-label was
extending too far to the right since it start at the right edge of the axis,
as you see from this example

BarChart[{1, 2, 3}, AxesLabel -> {"x-axis label"}]

Is there a way to solve this problem?  Either just use BarChart without
Frame, but tell it to put the x-label BELOW, or use a Frame with BarChart
but not have the bar labels at top and bottom as well?

thanks,
Nasser