Re: different eigenvectors

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83904] Re: different eigenvectors
  • From: dh <dh at metrohm.ch>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 04:21:42 -0500 (EST)

Hi Vicky,

imagine what an Eigenvector is and you will understand that if x is an

EV, so is -x. That explains the different signs. Similar, if c is a

constant, then  c x is also an EV, the EV is only determined up to a

constant factor. Further, the order of EV is arbitrary. Mathematica sorts the EV

  in order of decreasing absolute value of their eigenvalues.

hope this helps, Daniel