Re: Prefix Forms on the BasicMath Palette

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84136] Re: Prefix Forms on the BasicMath Palette
  • From: magma <maderri2 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2007 06:08:52 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 11, 2:47 am, Syd Geraghty <sydgerag... at mac.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> Both can be used correctly on my system. However the sub prefix could
> be aligned a little lower (eg half the character height) for my taste.
>
> Also I thought in previous versions that hovering the pointer over
> palette items gave the item name in tooltip fashion which I found
> useful.
> That does not work now.
>
> One possible reason on my system is that I have magnified the
> standard palettes to make reading & selection of items easier but I
> cannot believe this should be the case.
>
> Also searching the documentation for a quite a few minutes did not
> identify the palette items in question.
>
> (Even though there is a Prefix Operator defined and there are "Names
> of Symbols and Mathematical Objects" & "Mathematical Notation
> Characters"  sections in Help.)
>
> > On the BasicMath Palette there are two forms that appear to have
> > sub and
> > super scripts in a prefix position. They are the two items on the
> > right in
> > the next to last row.
>
> Yours truly ... Syd
>
> Syd Geraghty B.Sc., M.Sc.
> sydgerag... at mac.com
> San Jose, CA
>
> My System
>
> Mathematic 6.0.1 for Mac OS X x86 (32 - bit) (June 19, 2007)  License
> L2983-5890
> MacOS X V 10.4 .10
> MacBook Pro 2.33 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo  2GB RAM
>
> On Dec 10, 2007, at 1:34 AM, David Park wrote:
>
> > On the BasicMath Palette there are two forms that appear to have
> > sub and
> > super scripts in a prefix position. They are the two items on the
> > right in
> > the next to last row.
>
> > These do not appear to work at all, and there does not appear to be
> > corresponding names for them. Does anyone how these work and what
> > one can do
> > with them?
>
> > David Park
>
> > djmp... at comcast.net
>
> >  <http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark>http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark

I tried all 10 input forms in the last 2 lines of Basic Bath palette.
I filled them with undefined symbols like a,b,c and pressed enter.
My preliminary conclusions:

1-none of the forms (except the 2 mentiond by David)  have a
predefined meaning
2- the ones mentioned by David generate a syntax error.
Mathematica apparently expects something more or something different
than undefined  a,b symbols.

These 2 input forms could be used in Chemistry to indicate atomic
properties or perhaps in mathematical physics to indicate some special
function.

They might  have a preassigned meaning, since Mathematica expects a
more complex input syntax.