Re: disable "disable dynamic updating?"?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84405] Re: disable "disable dynamic updating?"?
  • From: ragfield <ragfield at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:39:46 -0500 (EST)

On Dec 21, 2:26=A0am, "dabro... at indiana.edu" <dabro... at indiana.edu>
wrote:
> OK, that's the confusion. =A0The dialog box I keep getting says:
>
> =A0"One or more dynamic elements are taking excessively long to finish
> evaluating."
>
> Then it asks if I want to disable =A0dynamic updating or continue
> waiting. =A0I always hit "continue waiting", but sometimes it will just
> pop up again 10 seconds later. =A0Moreover this seems to interrupt the
> operation of the rest of the FrontEnd, and sometimes results in
> glitches in the formatting when it finally does complete. =A0I would
> really like to be able to turn this dialog off.

Ah, that's an entirely different issue altogether.  There is no way to
turn this dialog off, but you also don't need to do anything with it.
The dialog will automatically disappear if and when the dynamic
content finishes evaluating.

Just to clarify, this dialog is not interfering with the operation of
the rest of the Front End.  Some extremely slow Dynamic evaluation is
interfering with the operation of the rest of the Front End and this
dialog is informing you of this fact and giving you the option to
cancel it before things get even more out of control.  Dynamic content
is meant to be interactive, so it should evaluate quickly.  When this
dialog appears it probably means that some slow evaluation was wrapped
in Dynamic[] that shouldn't have been.

Check out the section titled "Slow Evaluations inside Dynamic" in
"tutorial/IntroductionToDynamic" in the  Mathematica 6 documentation:

To avoid locking up the front end for good, dynamic evaluations are
internally wrapped in TimeConstrained, with a timeout value of, by
default, 5 seconds. (This can be changed with the
DynamicEvaluationTimeout option.) In certain extreme cases,
TimeConstrained can fail to abort the calculation, in which case the
front end will, a few seconds later, put up a dialog box allowing you
to terminate dynamic updating until the offending output has been
deleted.

-Rob