Re: Fuction definition

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg73672] Re: [mg73635] Fuction definition
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 02:18:46 -0500 (EST)

If you study the documentation about =: (SetDelayed) you will see that
the expression on its right in p Sin[Pi x], for example, is evaluated
not when you make the definition but rather when you subsequently
evaluate an expression involving the left-hand side f2[x].

In your example, you don't ask for f1[0.5] until AFTER you have
evaluated p = 2 (where = is Set).  Unless and until you change the value
of p, it will keep the value of 2, and so evaluating f1[0.5] is the same
thing as evaluating 2 Sin[Pi 2].

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305