Re: Re: Possible to Create 16 Bit Dicom Images in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72691] Re: [mg72671] Re: Possible to Create 16 Bit Dicom Images in Mathematica
  • From: Yasvir Tesiram <tesiramy at omrf.ouhsc.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 05:43:40 -0500 (EST)

G'day,
Unfortunately, Mathematica Export writes out an 8-bit image and its own
represenatation based on Raster, complete with axes etc. And there are
numerous elements contained in a DICOM file to acurately represent the
collected image. Mathematica Export does however contain ConversionOptions
for DICOM export, but without knowing the DICOM standard they are of
little use.
For the specific question raised by Danny, one would have to write out a
file with Export["filename", imageData, "Integer16"], or better yet, write
out the processed data to a file with BinaryWrite and Append to it a line
that follows the header guidelines as defined by the DICOM standard. I
guess the short answer to the original post is, "Yes it can be done, but
you would have to roll out your own DICOM export routine to accurately
represent the data as expected in medical imaging".
Cheers
Yas