HoldCompleteForm (or HoldFormComplete)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79257] HoldCompleteForm (or HoldFormComplete)
  • From: Chris Chiasson <chris.chiasson at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 04:23:28 -0400 (EDT)

For a long time now, I have wondered why there is no complete version
of HoldForm. A while back I sent in a suggestion for it, but I guess
no one wanted to implement it.

Places where a HoldCompleteForm would make sense:

Trace outputs of expressions with the head Sequence are presently
changed to the head HoldForm because HoldForm[Sequence[a,b]] evaluates
to HoldForm[a,b]. This can be confusing when trying to debug
formatting code or when trying to post-process trace output.
HoldCompleteForm would not have this problem.

A similar problem would probably happen with Evaluate, though I don't
seem to notice it.

Reasons against HoldCompleteForm:

More possible confusion for people that are trying to grok evaluation
control (??)

Opposing views are welcome.