pure function to generate a list of integrals

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77062] pure function to generate a list of integrals
  • From: "Ruth Lazkoz Saez"<ruth.lazkoz at ehu.es>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2007 04:17:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,

I am trying to brush up a long code I have to make it more compliant
with the spirit of functional programming. I do not like to hear that
the kind of calculations I do should run faster in C, because I suspect
that if I managed to write good code in Mathematica it should be as
fast. So I have to go and improve my code chunk by chunk.

My first problem is that I want to generate a pure function say f,
which, so that f[2, {0.1, 0.5, 0.9}] gives me the same output as

{NIntegrate[2x, {x, 0, 0.1}], NIntegrate[2x, {x, 0, 0.5}],
   NIntegrate[2x, {x, 0, 0.9}]}

That is, I want to generate a list of numerical integrals of the same
function but making one of the integration limits change by taking
values from a list.

I also want my function to admit two arguments (a number and a list)
because I want to be able to use the same definition to generate the
same output as for instance

{NIntegrate[3x, {x, 0, 0.1}], NIntegrate[3x, {x, 0, 0.5}],
   NIntegrate[3x, {x, 0, 0.9}]}

by evaluating f[3, {0.1, 0.5, 0.9}] this time.

I tried for quite a while, but I failed. I suspect one of the problems
is NIntegrate is not listable. I could make some progress with  Map but
I only what halfway and on top I was not satisfied with the syntax I
would have to use.

Thanks in advance,

Ruth Lazkoz