Re: What to do in v. 6 in place of Miscellaneous`RealOnly

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg77088] Re: What to do in v. 6 in place of Miscellaneous`RealOnly
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 06:09:35 -0400 (EDT)

Murray Eisenberg wrote:
> Will such an Import handle correctly contexts from an "ordinary" package?

Yes. See at the bottom of the message for the location of a test package
and some Mathematica version 6.0 commands.

> (The web server I use for most things is out of service at the moment,
> so I cannot test that.)
>

> Selwyn Hollis wrote:
>> Apparently, it's now possible to load a package from a remote location
>> on the web.
>>
>> I put a simple init.m file that defines a function HexToDecimal at this
>> url:
>>
>>         http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis/init.m
>>
>> Entering this quietly loads it:
>>
>>         Import["http://www.math.armstrong.edu/faculty/hollis/init.m";]
>>
>> For verification, enter this:
>>
>>     ?HexToDecimal
>>
>> Stunning.
>>

>> - Selwyn
>>

>> On May 27, 2007, at 4:52 AM, Murray Eisenberg wrote:
>>
>>> You've stumbled upon a long-standing problem I've faced with using
>>> Mathematica in an academic setting (or perhaps any setting) where
>>> systems are locked down by the folks whom maintain the systems: how to
>>> handle 3rd-party add-on packages.
>>>
>>> In my own experience, getting the packages installed on the students'
>>> own machines is not that big a deal provided the zip file (or whatever)
>>> is properly assembled and the instructions are sufficiently clear and
>>> the students are able to follow direction.  (Hmm...the last IS a bit of
>>> a problem: if only students read directions as carefully as I wrote
>>> them!)
>>>
>>> The real problem resides with lab & classroom computers. Given
>>> sufficient advance notice, of course, such packages can be incorporated
>>> into the standard software on the systems. (At my own institution, any
>>> package needed for the September semester needs to be in the hands of
>>> the IT folks no later than July 1, and preferably earlier; for the
>>> Spring semester, no later than Thanksgiving. This is a real pain.)
>>>
>>> I don't have a good solution to this.  Perhaps somebody at Wolfram
>>> Research will look into it.

>>> --
>>> Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
>>> Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
>>> Lederle Graduate Research Tower      phone 413 549-1020 (H)
>>> University of Massachusetts                413 545-2859 (W)
>>> 710 North Pleasant Street            fax   413 545-1801
>>> Amherst, MA 01003-9305

I have put a test notebook at

http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmg336/mathematica/Sierpinski.m

As you can see below, the context JMGTests`Sierpinski` is correctly
created. Very cool feature indeed.

In[1]:= $ContextPath
Import["http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmg336/mathematica/Sierpinski.m";]
$ContextPath
?JMGTests`Sierpinski`*
drawCarpet[4]

Out[1]= {"PacletManager`", "WebServices`", "System`", "Global`"}

Out[3]= {"JMGTests`Sierpinski`", "Utilities`URLTools`", "JLink`", \
"PacletManager`", "WebServices`", "System`", "Global`"}

drawCarpet[n] draws the Sierpinski's Carpet

[graphic deleted]

Regards,
Jean-Marc

P.S. Here is the code of the package. (Not breathtaking, for sure, but
it works well for illustrative purpose.)

(* ::Package:: *)

BeginPackage["JMGTests`Sierpinski`"]

drawCarpet::usage="drawCarpet[n] draws the Sierpinski's Carpet"

Begin["Private`"]

rules = {0 -> {{0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 0}},

f[m_:1] := ArrayFlatten[m /. rules]

drawCarpet[n_Integer?Positive] := MatrixPlot[Nest[f, 1, n], FrameTicks
-> None]

End[]

EndPackage[]